Monday, July 9, 2007

Speaking to Kids - 3 Types of Questions You Need to Prepare For

As someone that speaks regularly to groups of children—both large and small—I can tell you that I am constantly amazed at what goes through their little minds. Without the restraint of what would be “appropriate,” they tend to just let their thoughts flow. If you ever find yourself standing in front of a group of young people, get ready for three categories of questions.



Category 1: Personal Questions


Kids want to know everything, and they have no problem asking you directly. I have been asked my age, my height, my yearly income, and marital status. The income question usually takes the form of “Are you rich?” or even “Are you a millionaire?” Evidently the Harry Potter craze led them to believe that anyone who has written a book or two must be a millionaire.



But it was the age question that led to this funny exchange.



At one of my appearances a little boy raised his hand and asked, “How old are you?” I paused for a moment, trying to think of a witty response, but in the end simply answered that I was 42. There was a momentary hush, and then he muttered in authentic amazement, “Wow, that’s even older than my dad!” It still makes me chuckle.



Category 2: Professional Failure Questions


To have your ego shot down by a six year old is truly a humbling experience. Let me explain.



In my talks I try very hard to explain how the publishing world works, and how books are created. For some reason, this leads many children to assume that I must have had an entire series of horrible setbacks before arriving at my current station. My two favorites so far have been, “How does it feel when your books get rejected?” and the equally painful, “What do you do when someone hates your books?”



Nothing like a dose of salt-in-the-wound and painful-reminders to bring you back down to earth!



Category 3: The Question that’s not a Question


Kindergarten and First Grade are particularly adept at this one. It can take several forms, but let me tell you about one specific time. I gave a talk to a group of Kindergarteners that went very well. The audience was attentive. They laughed at all the right places and were quiet when they should be quiet. Then, I asked, “Does anyone have any questions on the things I’ve talked about?”



A hand shot up. A little girl in the front row. “Yes?” I said. “You have a question?”



“I have a dog.”



This was strange not simply because it was not really a question, but also because nothing in the preceding hour had anything to do with dogs, pets, or any other related topic! I hesitated only briefly before replying (brilliantly, I thought), “Interesting. Any other questions?”



Another hand shot up. “I have a dog, too.” Which was followed in rapid succession by “I have a cat,” “My Grandma has two cats,” and “My Grandma had a dog, but he died.”



Sigh.



But, for all of their strange and somewhat embarrassing questions, there is one benefit to an audience of young people. There is something that happens quite regularly at my events that you rarely see at gatherings of “adults.” After the event, as the kids are filing out of the auditorium, some little boy or girl will come up to me, not say a word, and give me a hug. You can’t buy that kind of praise with money.

Kevin Franz is the author of the successful children’s fantasy series, the Castle Rose Adventures. The first book of the series, Into the Hidden Lands (2004, Starbell Books, Plainfield, Illinois) was praised for its lavish illustrations, interesting footnotes and detailed maps. Since then, eager fans have been treated to four more Castle Rose books which have cleverly combined the realism of medieval castle life with the myth and magic of classic fantasy. A sixth installment--A Castle Rose Christmas--is scheduled for a December 2007 release.



Mr. Franz is also an accomplished speaker, and regularly presents his Creative Writing Workshops to young audiences throughout Illinois and Wisconsin.



For information on his writing and speaking, please visit http://www.Princess-Sisters.com and click the Author Visit Info button. You can also click the Contact button to write to Mr. Franz directly.

Article Source: http://www.articlepros.com

No comments: