Friday, September 28, 2007

Direct Mail Marketing Goes Rogue

I recently received the “fabulous news” that I had won £5,000.00. You know what they say about things that sound too good to be true – they usually are. So I looked for a phone number – absent. I then looked at the return address – Canada. Canada? I had a closer look at the delivery envelope – Royal Mail frank, i.e. it had been posted from the UK. Strange. I did a Google search for company name. At number 2 was a link to an article in the Mirror entitled “Rogue Mail”. Yep – it was a slick scam which was apparently netting the operators millions of pounds because to claim your prize you had to send a payment, in this case £20.00.
Now many would have been outraged at receiving such a letter. Instead, I saw it as a great learning opportunity not, View the rest of this article


No comments: